Monday 14 November 2011

Pictures from Pompeii - 2000 year old art

 I just wanted to share with you these amazing photos that I took while visiting Pompeii in May this year. This trip to Italy was the best holiday I've ever been on. 
I spent most of my days in Italy walking the streets of Rome looking at all the fantastic architecture, but one day we decided to take the train down south for a daytrip to Pompeii, which is near Napoli and just by the base of the volcano Vesuvius.
Pompeii was buried in heavy ashes from the Vesuvius eruption in year 79, and the city wasn't discovered again until 1749 - almost 1700 years later! 
The city is still not completely uncovered, but archeologists are still recovering artefacts. The fact that all these items are so well preserved is such a great and interesting way of learning about history.
Walking on the ancient steets of Pompeii was such an amazing experience! It was hard to imagine that everything you saw around you was over 2000 years old. The buldings and fountains were very impressive, but what really amazed me was all the art. Have a look at my Pompeii art pictures below. There are both 2000 year old mosaic floor patterns, and even some erotic art from Pompeii's brothel.

 
 If you are going to Italy I strongly recommend that you visit Pompeii. It's actually not difficult getting there. I took a 2 hour train from Rome down to Napoli, where I changed to the local train Circumvesuviana, which goes around the volcano Vesuvius. The staff at the station were very helpful as well, and even though we were there during the tourist season, there were staff there that helped us get on the right train.

1 comment:

  1. These paintings are great !! Just thinking they're so old makes me amazed !!! That must be such a great place to visit =)

    xxx Vee

    ReplyDelete

As an artist I love hearing people's opinions about my work, so I would be extremely happy if you left a little comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...